Do-it-yourself ideas, bargains and resources for all around your home.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

And now from left field: wallpaper.

Yeah. I know. Hardly anyone voted for wallpaper in the poll. But it struck me some time last night or this morning that I should at least consider it. So I did a little internet searching this morning, then after I dropped off Audrey at school, I headed over to Seabrook. I knew I wanted something contemporary, possibly some type of botanical, and I had paint chip samples that are very close matches to my tile colors. Denise, my new best friend, and I went through several books and I brought home three samples:

1. Although it's hard to see, this sample has a band of pale yellow running through it, along with the slate blue and a lighter version of the brown I used to paint the vanity. It might be a little too busy and a pain to match up when putting it on the walls.

2. I found this on the internet this morning and brought a print-out to Denise. She quickly pulled out the book. I think it is so, so pretty. But maybe it will make the room too dark?

3. A few pages later, in the same book as above, we found this. The blue is right, plus it has some brown tones that work.

So. Any thoughts? A tile guy is coming tomorrow, which could send this whole project into a tailspin yet again. Feel free to leave a comment and give me your unique spin on the whole thing.

11 comments:

Vivian Masket said...

If you go with wallpaper, I like #2 the best.

Sarah said...

Well. I'm not sure how I feel about wallpaper. But I agree with Vivian that I like #2 the best.

*Paula* said...

hmm...tough one. Gut reaction was to pick the 2nd one. I agree with you assessment on the 1st that it might be difficult to match but I actually think the lighter color might be better (than #2)

Anonymous said...

I like the one with the circles actually. Personally I am in love with wallpaper right now, and think it can be a fun accent.

Anonymous said...

just to be the devil's advocate, i like the bigger open airy pattern, that would as you say be a pain to install! it will give the overall impression of a softer, more gentle pattern, where the one with the circles is a busy, smaller look. the open airy is better for a smaller space. i think it is quite lovely.

down the road though someone else or you will have the tile issue again. i still say deal with the tiles now, and have it over! neutral for resale wins every time. and if the new has wallpaper to contend with...that might be a bigger issue than the tiles. wallpaper no matter how classic will date itself in time.

so many decisions! you are doing great, john's bathroom is lovely. soft serene elegant! good job.

donna in london ontario

Anonymous said...

well i was one of the 3 comments voting for wallpaper. however, i don't vote for either of these papers. if you're going to go paper i think you need more yellow than is in these. embrace the yellow! good luck.

Jennifer Fleming said...

I like number 3 the best!

Cari Skuse said...

I like #2. I think it down-plays the yellow.

Colleen said...

i love #2!

Anonymous said...

it seems to me if you pick those wallpapers they will blend in with the blue tiles and the yellow tile will be the first thing you notice. not everybody can have a real retro bathroom. as i said in an earlier comment...embrace the yellow and the unique-ness. :)

Janette said...

Hi Marci, I like #3. =)