Do-it-yourself ideas, bargains and resources for all around your home.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sneak peek.

We've been working in the kitchen again.

Here's a sneak peek at my new tile backsplash. It goes down behind the stove to roughly the beginning of the counter. The mastic needs to dry for 24 hours, so I'll do the grouting tomorrow. I also bought grout sealer because I figured the grout would stay cleaner with it sealed. Am I right about that?

I also tackled the phone jack. I got rid of that weird circle thing, cut a channel straight up and taped the jack out of my way. I have not disconnected any wires. Then I used a drywall repair kit which is essentially a piece of mesh with adhesive on the back. You attach it, spackle over it (I love this Dap spackle -- it goes on pink and turns white when it is completely dry), sand and repaint. After that I'll reposition the jack and get it back on the wall.

I also did a little more caulking and paint touch-ups. John added some hooks in places I wanted hooks. I keep thinking that these are the last of the projects, but then I go back and check my list and see that I still want to replace two light fixtures, buy a rug, buy a round table and chairs, put a curtain on the back door and paint the trim. But I do think I'm done enough to move on to the next room. I'll announce my plans in the next few days...

4 comments:

Sara said...

Looking good! Great tile color!

Anonymous said...

great job marcy! a tip on the plaster spackle repair, if you put a coat of primer over the new stuff, then paint with regular paint you will get a more consistant finish and you will hardly be able to tell the patch was made. the primer just gives the paint a better chance of blending into the plaster. great product that changes colour when it is ready for step two! wow...

donna in london

Sarah said...

Okay, so here is what is freaking me out about your kitchen. We already know we have the same cabinets. But our walls are painted the same color and now I realized that we have the same stove too. Only, why does your kitchen look so much darn better than mine?!!? :)

Amy said...

Looking great, Marci! You're quickly becoming a pro!