We've been working in the kitchen again.
Here's a sneak peek at my new tile backsplash. It goes down behind the stove to roughly the beginning of the counter. The mastic needs to dry for 24 hours, so I'll do the grouting tomorrow. I also bought grout sealer because I figured the grout would stay cleaner with it sealed. Am I right about that?
I also tackled the phone jack. I got rid of that weird circle thing, cut a channel straight up and taped the jack out of my way. I have not disconnected any wires. Then I used a drywall repair kit which is essentially a piece of mesh with adhesive on the back. You attach it, spackle over it (I love this Dap spackle -- it goes on pink and turns white when it is completely dry), sand and repaint. After that I'll reposition the jack and get it back on the wall.
I also did a little more caulking and paint touch-ups. John added some hooks in places I wanted hooks. I keep thinking that these are the last of the projects, but then I go back and check my list and see that I still want to replace two light fixtures, buy a rug, buy a round table and chairs, put a curtain on the back door and paint the trim. But I do think I'm done enough to move on to the next room. I'll announce my plans in the next few days...